The VegfestUK team have certainly had our hands full collecting all the data from our visitors survey for this year’s VegfestUK Brighton 2015 visited by a grand-total of 12,000 visitors! We’ve collected a total of over 320 responses (online and written combined), and now we’re bringing you the full results. Fasten your seatbelts as we have some truly uplifting results to announce...
A percentage of our visitors came to the show on both Saturday and Sunday, and we estimate that there were actually 10,000 individuals at the event. Inferring from the percentages obtained from our survey based on this sample size of 10,000 individuals, we’ve made a few deductions on these aspects:
New VegfestUK Visitors
Nearly 50% of our visitors were completely new to VegfestUK (from question 6) – that means we’ve gained nearly 5,000 visitors from our Brighton show this year alone! What an encouraging statistic.
Those returning to VegfestUK Brighton next year
nearly 90% of these individuals said they would return to VegfestUK Brighton next year (from question 7)! So it’s looking like we’ll have 9,000 individuals from this year back in 2016.
Possible new followers of the Vegfest Express
Approximately 62% hadn’t heard of the Vegfest Express before Brighton 2015 (from question 8) – so an influx of 6,200 potential new followers of this almighty global vegan news website!
Number of those who were not vegan before the event
Roughly 39% were not vegan before the event (from question 9) – so our inference translates this to approximately 3,900 people who ate meat and/or dairy before Brighton 2015.
From the percentages gathered in this question, roughly 30% (which translates to 3,000 individuals) were veggie before the event, and 9% (meaning 900 individuals) were omnivores before the show.
How many people are looking to change their diets after the show?
Results to question 10 indicate that, of the 9% of all individuals at the event who were omni beforehand:
- approximately 82% of those decided to move towards a vegan diet – this means 10,000 x 9% x 82% = 738 individuals who ate meat and dairy beforehand decided to change!
- roughly 22% of these omnis decided to go vegan after the event – so a total of 10,000 x 9% x 22% = 198 omnis decided to become vegans!
Results to question 17 (corresponding question for veggies) show that, of the 30% individuals who were veggies before Brighton 2015:
- approximately 82% decided to move towards a vegan diet – meaning 10,000 x 30% x 82% = 2,460 of those who were veggie beforehand decided to change!
- roughly 25% decided to go vegan – this translates to 10,000 x 30% x 25% = 750 new vegans from this group.
On combining these two sets of results from the omni and veggie groups before Brighton:
- 3,198 people who were not vegan beforehand decided to move towards a vegan diet
- 948 people decided to go vegan after the event
What a reason to be cheerful – VegfestUK has created nearly 1,000 vegans on one weekend at Brighton!
Below is a full breakdown for all the questions we asked in this survey – enjoy!
*** Sample size is taken to be 10,000 individuals ***
1) How did you find out about the event?
|Been here before||34.86%|
|Word of mouth||20.18%|
|Read about the event online||7.65%|
|Saw advert in magazines||3.98%|
|Read article in magazines||0.92%|
2) Why did you come to this event?
|Support the Vegan Movement||56.27%|
|Meet like-minded people||22.32%|
|Some of my friends were going||16.82%|
|Attend talks and demos||16.51%|
|Find out more about veganism||14.68%|
|For the comedy festival||3.67%|
|Meet celebrity guests||0.92%|
3) What are your favourite part(s) of the event?
4) Where are you based currently?
|South East England||53.52%|
|South West England||7.65%|
|North East England||1.22%|
|North West England||0.31%|
5) Which age group do you belong to?
|Yes – first time I’ve been to any VegfestUK events||48.32%|
|No – been to Brighton 2014||17.13%|
|Yes – but have been to other VegfestUK events||16.51%|
|No – been to Brighton and another VegfestUK event||14.68%|
|No – I come to all your events||3.36%|
|Yes – definitely||58.41%|
|Yes – very likely||17.13%|
|Yes – fairly likely but not sure||13.76%|
|No – unlikely||7.95%|
|No – no chance||2.75%|
8) Have you heard of our new free 24-hour breaking vegan news website the Vegfest Express before the event?
|No, haven’t heard of it||62.14%|
|Yes, but we haven’t looked at it||23.21%|
|Yes, like the look of it||9.29%|
|Yes, love it||4.29%|
|Yes, but didn’t like it||1.07%|
|Omnivore (eats meat and dairy)||8.87%|
|Reducing your meat||40.74%|
|Reducing your dairy||3.70%|
11) If you’re considering changing your diet, which of the following reasons would be the closest descriptions?
|I’m looking to improve my health||75.00%|
|I’m concerned about the environmental impact of eating meat and dairy||45.83%|
|I don’t want to inflict harm on other living creatures||41.67%|
|I’m concerned about people going hungry||25.00%|
|My partner/family is doing the same||12.50%|
12) How easy do you think it is to go vegan / veggie / reduce your meat and dairy?
|Not too hard – but not straightforward||48.15%|
13) Which of the following do you think is the hardest in going vegan / veggie / reducing your meat and dairy?
|I really am addicted to my favourite animal products and haven’t found a satisfactory substitute||38.10%|
|I don’t think I’ll be able to access vegan food regularly||38.10%|
|I think vegan food is going to be expensive||14.29%|
|I’m not sure I can put up with the attitude from my partner / family / colleagues||9.52%|
|I’m concerned about the social implications especially when eating out – I don’t want to stand out from the crowd||9.52%|
14) Which of the following do you think is the easiest about going vegan / veggie / reducing your meat and dairy?
|I feel the benefits on a health level||40.91%|
|I really like the taste of vegan foods and they’re easily accessible these days||36.36%|
|Vegan / vegetarian food is generally cheaper||27.37%|
|I’m committed to being vegan / vegetarian / reducing my meat and dairy on an ethical level||27.37%|
|My friends / family / colleagues are doing the same||13.64%|
15) Which meat / dairy products would you find hardest to live without?
|Roast dinner / steak||28.00%|
|Cakes / Biscuits / Chocolates||20.00%|
|Bacon / Sausages||16.00%|
16) How would you describe your experience at VegfestUK Brighton?
|Very positive – very nice people, products, food etc.||42.31%|
|Super positive – really impressed||26.92%|
|Not that great but some of it was good||19.23%|
|Generally positive but a little bit scary||7.69%|
|Most unpleasant – really didn’t enjoy it at all||3.85%|
|Yes, I’m going to reduce my dairy intake and look for vegan alternatives||38.14%|
|Yes, I’m looking to go vegan||24.74%|
|Yes, but only one or two minor changes here and there, nothing dramatic||19.59%|
|No, unlikely to change my diet at the moment||15.46%|
18) If you’re going vegan, or reducing your dairy intake, how easy do you think it would be to replace dairy?
|Easy for most things, maybe one or two not so easy||37.21%|
|Moderately easy but struggling with a few items||31.40%|
|Looking quite hard, not looking forward to it but going to do my best||8.14%|
|Looking almost impossible||1.16%|
19) If you’re going vegan, or reducing your dairy intake, which dairy products are the hardest for you to give up / reduce / replace?
|Cakes / Chocolates / Biscuits||26.25%|
20) If you’re not going vegan or not reducing your dairy intake, which of the following reasons applies?
|I’m a cheese addict||40.63%|
|I love dairy products all round||25.00%|
|I like milk in my tea||21.88%|
|I’m not impressed with the vegan dairy-free substitutes||18.75%|
|I can’t be fussed with reading labels all the time||9.38%|
|I adore butter||6.25%|
21) What is your biggest reason for being vegan?
|I don’t want to inflict harm on other living creatures||87.31%|
|I’m concerned about the environmental impact of eating meat and dairy||33.50%|
|Vegan diets are good for my health||24.87%|
|I’m concerned about people going hungry, and I think that vegan diets are better for sustainable global food production||17.26%|
|My partner / family is doing the same||3.05%|
22) When you went vegan, which of the following describes best your vegan journey?
|Went veggie first then vegan||80.31%|
|Overnight / from eating meat and dairy to 100% vegan||15.03%|
|I tried going vegan more than once – struggled but got there in the end||8.29%|
|I was born into it||3.11%|
|I gave up||0.52%|
23) What’s your favourite vegan food?
|Raw food / salads||44.38%|
|Vegan cheese / yoghurt alternatives||29.38%|
|Nut / soya milk||22.50%|
from Vegfest UK