2015 has been a really exciting year for VegfestUK, with our earlier event in Brighton attracting 12,000 people, with 1,000 of them going vegan afterwards and 2,000 moving towards veganism, while over 90% of them are likely to return in 2016.
The good news doesn’t stop there. After another exhilarating event in Bristol visited by 14,000 people, we’ve been collating figures from our visitors survey at our HQ . We’ve interpolated our results from nearly 170 responses to our visitors survey (online and printed), and we’re glad to be able to announce that amongst our visitors, approximately:
- 714 people are going vegan after the event,
- 2,428 others are taking steps towards veganism,
- over 4,350 people visited a VegfestUK event for the first time at Bristol 2015, and
- nearly 12,000 people are likely to return to Bristol 2016
THANKYOU so much to our followers for your ongoing support – all of you have been amazing. Onwards and upwards for veganism too!
ANALYSIS OF SURVEY RESULTS
We make the assumption that, of the 14,000 visitors we had overall, 2,000 of them came on both days, hence making our sample size of individuals 12,000 people altogether. Full survey figures are at the bottom of this blog.
Newcomers to VegfestUK
From question 6,
- No. of new visitors to VegfestUK Bristol specifically = 12,000 x 45.83% = 5,500 approx.
- and amongst these, the no. of visitors completely new to VegfestUK events = 12,000 x 36.31% = 4,357 approx.
Likelihood of returning to the event
From question 7, the proportion of people likely to come back next year is a total of 98.21%, which means approx 11,785 people are probably coming back!
On the Vegfest Express
According to question 8, 45.81% of our individuals hadn’t heard of this website, meaning we have potentially 12,000 x 45.81% = nearly 5,500 new visitors to the Vegfest Express from Bristol 2015 alone.
Dietary changes after the event
The breakdown of dietary habits before the event is as follows (see question 9 at the bottom):
- Omnivores = 12,000 x 7% = 840
- Vegetarians = 12,000 x 21% = 2,520
- Vegans = 12,000 x 72% = 8,640
Amongst all those who ate meat and dairy before Bristol 2015 (see question 10 at the bottom):
- No. of them going vegan afterwards = 840 x 25% = 210
- No. of them moving towards vegan = 840 x 67% = 563 approx
and among those who were vegetarians beforehand (see question 17 at the bottom):
- No. of them going vegan afterwards = 2,520 x 20% = 504
- No. of them moving towards vegan = 2,520 x 74% = 1,865 approx
These figures suggest that amongst all individuals at Bristol 2015:
- No. of people going vegan afterwards = 714
- No. of people moving towards vegan = 2,428
*** Sample size is taken to be 10,000 individuals ***
1) How did you find out about the event?
|Been here before||49.40%|
|Word of mouth||13.10%|
|Read about the event online||9.52%|
|Saw advert in magazines||2.98%|
|Read article in magazines||0.60%|
2) Why did you come to this event?
|Support the Vegan Movement||58.93%|
|Meet like-minded people||26.19%|
|Attend talks and demos||22.62%|
|Find out more about veganism||11.31%|
|Some of my friends were going||6.55%|
3) What are your favourite part(s) of the event?
|DJ’s and Recorded Music||19.64%|
4) Where are you based currently?
|South West England||60.71%|
|South East England||5.95%|
|North West England||2.38%|
|North East England||1.79%|
|Rest of the world||0.60%|
5) Which age group do you belong to?
6) Is this the first time you’ve been to VegfestUK Bristol?
|Yes – first time I’ve been to any VegfestUK events||36.31%|
|No – been to Bristol 2014||27.98%|
|No – been to Bristol and another VegfestUK event||19.64%|
|Yes – but have been to other VegfestUK events||9.52%|
|No – I come to all your events||6.55%|
7) Would you consider coming back to VegfestUK Bristol?
|Yes – definitely||79.17%|
|Yes – very likely||10.71%|
|Yes – fairly likely but not sure||8.33%|
|No – no chance||1.19%|
|No – unlikely||0.60%|
8) Have you heard of our new free 24-hour breaking vegan news website the Vegfest Express before the event?
|No, haven’t heard of it||45.81%|
|Yes, but we haven’t looked at it||25.81%|
|Yes, like the look of it||12.90%|
|Yes, love it||12.26%|
|Yes, but didn’t like it||3.23%|
9) Before coming to VegfestUK Bristol, would you describe yourself as:
|Omnivore (eats meat and dairy)||7.14%|
SECTION FOR THOSE WHO WERE OMNIVORES BEFORE THE EVENT
10) After going to VegfestUK Bristol, which of the following options would you consider?
|Reducing your meat||58.33%|
|Reducing your dairy||0.00%|
11) If you’re considering changing your diet, which of the following reasons would be the closest descriptions?
|I’m concerned about the environmental impact of eating meat and dairy||66.67%|
|I’m looking to improve my health||41.67%|
|I don’t want to inflict harm on other living creatures||41.67%|
|I’m concerned about people going hungry||41.67%|
|My partner/family is doing the same||0.00%|
12) How easy do you think it is to go vegan / veggie / reduce your meat and dairy?
|Not too hard – but not straightforward||50.00%|
13) Which of the following do you think is the hardest in going vegan / veggie / reducing your meat and dairy?
|I really am addicted to my favourite animal products and haven’t found a satisfactory substitute||41.67%|
|I don’t think I’ll be able to access vegan food regularly||41.67%|
|I think vegan food is going to be expensive||33.33%|
|I’m concerned about the social implications especially when eating out – I don’t want to stand out from the crowd||8.33%|
|I’m not sure I can put up with the attitude from my partner / family / colleagues||8.33%|
14) Which of the following do you think is the easiest about going vegan / veggie / reducing your meat and dairy?
|I really like the taste of vegan foods and they’re easily accessible these days||36.36%|
|Vegan / vegetarian food is generally cheaper||27.27%|
|I’m committed to being vegan / vegetarian / reducing my meat and dairy on an ethical level||18.18%|
|My friends / family / colleagues are doing the same||18.18%|
|I feel the benefits on a health level||18.18%|
15) Which meat / dairy products would you find hardest to live without?
|Cakes / Biscuits / Chocolates||44.44%|
|Roast dinner / steak||22.22%|
|Bacon / Sausages||11.11%|
16) How would you describe your experience at VegfestUK Bristol?
|Super positive – really impressed||50.00%|
|Very positive – very nice people, products, food etc.||41.67%|
|Generally positive but a little bit scary||8.33%|
|Not that great but some of it was good||0.00%|
|Most unpleasant – really didn’t enjoy it at all||0.00%|
SECTION FOR THOSE WHO WERE VEGETARIANS BEFORE THE EVENT
17) After going to VegfestUK Bristol, are you considering changing your diet?
|Yes, I’m going to reduce my dairy intake and look for vegan alternatives||51.43%|
|Yes, but only one or two minor changes here and there, nothing dramatic||22.86%|
|Yes, I’m looking to go vegan||20.00%|
|No, unlikely to change my diet at the moment||5.71%|
18) If you’re going vegan, or reducing your dairy intake, how easy do you think it would be to replace dairy?
|Easy for most things, maybe one or two not so easy||40.63%|
|Moderately easy but struggling with a few items||34.38%|
|Looking quite hard, not looking forward to it but going to do my best||12.50%|
|Looking almost impossible||0.00%|
19) If you’re going vegan, or reducing your dairy intake, which dairy products are the hardest for you to give up / reduce / replace?
|Cakes / Chocolates / Biscuits||28.13%|
20) If you’re not going vegan or not reducing your dairy intake, which of the following reasons applies?
|I’m a cheese addict||57.14%|
|I like milk in my tea||42.86%|
|I’m not impressed with the vegan dairy-free substitutes||21.43%|
|I love dairy products all round||14.29%|
|I can’t be fussed with reading labels all the time||14.29%|
|I adore butter||7.14%|
SECTION FOR THOSE WHO WERE VEGANS BEFORE THE EVENT
21) What is your biggest reason for being vegan?
|I don’t want to inflict harm on other living creatures||90.68%|
|I’m concerned about the environmental impact of eating meat and dairy||25.42%|
|Vegan diets are good for my health||22.03%|
|I’m concerned about people going hungry, and I think that vegan diets are better for sustainable global food production||13.56%|
|My partner / family is doing the same||0.85%|
22) When you went vegan, which of the following describes best your vegan journey?
|Went veggie first then vegan||77.88%|
|Overnight / from eating meat and dairy to 100% vegan||15.04%|
|I tried going vegan more than once – struggled but got there in the end||8.85%|
|I really struggled with going vegan and I'm not sure I'm going to be able to manage it||0.88%|
|I was born into it||0.00%|
23) What’s your favourite vegan food?
|Raw food / salads||30.51%|
|Vegan cheese / yoghurt alternatives||17.80%|
|Nut / soya milk||11.02%|
from Vegfest UK