Big thanks to everyone who has completed our recent visitors survey on their experiences at VegfestUK London 2015. We have received altogether 344 feedback forms either online or at the event.
There were altogether 12,000 visitors at the event over both days. Based on a combination of experience from previous shows as well as anecdotal evidence, we estimate that 2,000 of these people visited VegfestUK London on both Saturday and Sunday, leaving actually 10,000 distinct individuals at the event.
Inferring from the percentages obtained from our survey based on this sample size of 10,000 individuals, we’ve made a few deductions on these aspects:
New VegfestUK Visitors
Over 46% of our visitors were completely new to VegfestUK – that means we’ve gained over 4,600 visitors from VegfestUK London 2015!
Those returning to VegfestUK London next year
Over 90% of these individuals said they would return to VegfestUK London in 2016! This corresponds to over 9,000 repeat visitors at Olympia London in 2016.
Possible new followers of the Vegfest Express
Over 65% hadn’t heard of the Vegfest Express before London 2015 – so there’re potentially over 6,500 visitors to the event who are new to our breaking vegan news website!
Number of those who were not vegan before the event
Roughly 27% were not vegan before the event – so our inference translates this to approximately 2,700 people who ate animal products before London 2015.
From the percentages gathered in this question,
- roughly 21% (which translates to 2,100 individuals) were veggie before the event, and
- approx 6% (corresponding to approx 600 individuals) were meat-eaters before the show.
How many people are looking to change their diets after the show?
Results to question 10 indicate that, of the 6% of all individuals at the event who were meat-eaters beforehand:
- very encouragingly, ALL of them indicated that they’d make some changes to their diet
- roughly 17% of these meat-eaters decided to go vegan after the event – so a total of 10,000 x 6% x 17% = 102 meat-eaters decided to become vegans!
Results to question 17 (corresponding question for veggies) show that, of the 21% individuals who were veggies before London 2015:
- very encouragingly, ALL of them indicated that they’d make some changes to their diet
- roughly 30% decided to go vegan – this translates to 10,000 x 21% x 30% = 630 new vegans from this group.
On combining these two sets of results from the meat-eating and veggie groups before the event:
- All of the approx 2,700 people who were not vegan beforehand decided to move towards a vegan diet
- 732 people decided to go vegan after the event
Big thanks to all our survey respondents who have left us some valuable feedback on enhancing the event further. We really value your comments in our efforts to make the event even better next year.
Below is a full breakdown for all the questions we asked in this survey – enjoy!
FULL SURVEY FIGURES
Survey results from 344 responses altogether
1) How did you find out about the event?
|Been here before||38.37%|
|Word of mouth||16.28%|
|Read about the event online||9.30%|
|Saw adverts in magazines||3.20%|
|Read article in magazines||1.45%|
2) Why did you come to this event?
|Support the Vegan Movement||59.30%|
|Attend talks and demos||25.00%|
|Meet like minded people||25.00%|
|Want to find out more about going vegan||15.70%|
|Some of my friends were going||10.76%|
|For the Activists Summit (Sunday)||9.88%|
|Meet celebrity guests||5.81%|
|For the Health Summit (Saturday)||4.94%|
3) What are your favourite part(s) of the event?
|Activists Summit (Sunday)||16.86%|
|Health Summit (Saturday)||10.17%|
|Teen VGN Zone||2.91%|
4) Where are you based currently?
|South East England||24.71%|
|South West England||6.10%|
|North East England||2.62%|
|North West England||2.33%|
|Rest of the World||1.16%|
5) Which age group do you belong to?
6) Is this the first time you’ve been to VegfestUK London?
|Yes – first time I’ve been to any VegfestUK events||46.22%|
|No – been to London 2014||19.19%|
|No – been to London and another VegfestUK event||17.44%|
|Yes – but have been to other VegfestUK events||13.37%|
|No – I come to all your events||3.78%|
7) Would you consider coming back to VegfestUK London?
|Yes – definitely||56.10%|
|Yes – very likely||17.44%|
|Yes – fairly likely but not sure||16.57%|
|No – unlikely||7.56%|
|No – no chance||2.33%|
8) Have you heard of our new free 24-hour breaking vegan news website the Vegfest Express before the event?
|No, haven’t heard of it||65.23%|
|Yes, but we haven’t looked at it||15.69%|
|Yes, like the look of it||9.54%|
|Yes, love it||5.54%|
|Yes, but didn’t like it||4.00%|
9) Before coming to VegfestUK London 2015, would you describe yourself as:
|Omnivore (eats meat and dairy)||5.52%|
SECTION FOR THOSE WHO WERE OMNIVORES BEFORE THE EVENT
10) After going to VegfestUK London 2015, which of the following options would you consider?
|Reducing your meat||50.00%|
|Reducing your dairy||11.11%|
|Doing none of these / staying the same||0.00%|
11) If you’re considering changing your diet, which of the following reasons would be the closest descriptions?
|I’m looking to improve my health||58.82%|
|I don’t want to inflict harm on other living creatures||29.41%|
|I’m concerned about the environmental impact of eating meat and dairy||17.65%|
|My partner/family is doing the same||17.65%|
|I’m concerned about people going hungry||5.88%|
12) How easy do you think it is to go vegan / veggie / reduce your meat and dairy?
|Not too hard – but not straightforward||66.67%|
13) Which of the following do you think is the hardest in going vegan / veggie / reducing your meat and dairy?
|I really am addicted to my favourite animal products and haven’t found a satisfactory substitute||42.86%|
|I think vegan food is going to be expensive||28.57%|
|I don’t think I’ll be able to access vegan food regularly||28.57%|
|I’m concerned about the social implications especially when eating out – I don’t want to stand out from the crowd||21.43%|
|I’m not sure I can put up with the attitude from my partner / family / colleagues||7.14%|
14) Which of the following do you think is the easiest about going vegan / veggie / reducing your meat and dairy?
|I really like the taste of vegan foods and they’re easily accessible these days||50.00%|
|I’m committed to being vegan / vegetarian / reducing my meat and dairy on an ethical level||31.25%|
|I feel the benefits on a health level||31.25%|
|Vegan / vegetarian food is generally cheaper||6.25%|
|My friends / family / colleagues are doing the same||6.25%|
15) Which meat / dairy products would you find hardest to live without?
|Cakes / Biscuits / Chocolates||21.43%|
|Roast Dinner / Steak||21.43%|
|Bacon / Sausages||14.29%|
16) How would you describe your experience at VegfestUK London 2015?
|Very positive – very nice people, products, food etc.||43.75%|
|Super positive – really impressed||25.00%|
|Generally positive but a little bit scary||18.75%|
|Not that great but some of it was good||6.25%|
|Most unpleasant – really didn’t enjoy it at all||6.25%|
SECTION FOR THOSE WHO WERE VEGETARIANS BEFORE THE EVENT
17) After going to VegfestUK London 2015, are you considering changing your diet?
|Yes, I’m going to reduce my dairy intake and look for vegan alternatives||36.49%|
|Yes, I’m looking to go vegan||29.73%|
|No, unlikely to change my diet at the moment||18.92%|
|Yes, but only one or two minor changes here and there, nothing dramatic||14.86%|
18) If you’re going vegan, or reducing your dairy intake, how easy do you think it would be to replace dairy?
|Easy for most things, maybe one or two not so easy||43.94%|
|Moderately easy but struggling with a few items||28.79%|
|Looking quite hard, not looking forward to it but going to do my best||10.61%|
|Looking almost impossible||1.52%|
19) If you’re going vegan, or reducing your dairy intake, which dairy products are the hardest for you to give up / reduce / replace?
|Cakes / Chocolates / Biscuits||32.26%|
20) If you’re not going vegan or not reducing your dairy intake, which of the following reasons applies?
|I love dairy products all round||30.77%|
|I’m a cheese addict||26.92%|
|I’m not impressed with the vegan dairy-free substitutes||23.08%|
|I like milk in my tea||19.23%|
|I can’t be fussed with reading labels all the time||7.69%|
|I adore butter||3.85%|
SECTION FOR THOSE WHO WERE VEGANS BEFORE THE EVENT
21) What is your biggest reason for being vegan?
|I don’t want to inflict harm on other living creatures||92.21%|
|I’m concerned about the environmental impact of eating meat and dairy||25.00%|
|Vegan diets are good for my health||21.72%|
|I’m concerned about people going hungry, and I think that vegan diets are better for sustainable global food production||13.93%|
|My partner / family is doing the same||2.05%|
22) When you went vegan, which of the following describes best your vegan journey?
|Went veggie first then vegan||76.45%|
|Overnight / from eating meat and dairy to 100% vegan||15.70%|
|I tried going vegan more than once – struggled but got there in the end||8.68%|
|I was born into it||0.41%|
|I really struggled with going vegan and I'm not sure I'm going to be able to manage it||0.00%|
|I gave up||0.00%|
23) What’s your favourite vegan food?
|Raw food / salads||30.00%|
|Nut / soya milk||24.55%|
|Vegan cheese / yoghurt alternatives||21.36%|
from Vegfest UK